jiffy n : a very short time (as the time it takes the eye blink or the heart to beat); "if I had the chance I'd do it in a flash" [syn: blink of an eye, flash, heartbeat, instant, split second, trice, twinkling, wink, New York minute]
- Rhymes: -ɪfi
Nounjiffy (plural jiffies)
- A very short, unspecified length of time.
- I'll be back in a jiffy.
- A unit of time defined by the frequency of its basic timer; historically, and by convention, 0.01 seconds, but some operating systems use other values.
- The time taken for light to travel one centimetre in a vacuum (sometimes one foot, or sometimes the width of a nucleon)
- The time between alternating current power cycles (1/60 or 1/50 of a second)
- A line of baking mixes manufactured by the Chelsea Milling Company
short length of time
- French: instant, moment, seconde
- German: Moment, Augenblick
- Italian: attimo
- Norwegian: straks, øyeblikk
Jiffy can refer to: